Sunday, July 27, 2008

Shopping in Japan

What's my size?  Shopping for clothes in Japan requires a lot of patience if you're like me...curvy.  The Japanese women don't have a lot of curves.  I quickly found I could possibly fit into the larger sizes, sometimes.  Japanese malls and shopping districts are full of cute clothes, but the days of walking into a store and choosing what's on the rack are no more.  It took me having Q baby and losing the weight for me to be okay with this.  Before that, shopping for clothes not so fun.

As expected, Tokyo has the best and wildest choices of clothes and accessories.  And as expected, Tokyo has some of the most outrageous prices.  For me, shopping can be therapeutic - even if I don't buy anything. So shopping in Tokyo is a great time even if I only come home with a belt or a hair clip.

Shopping for other items in Japan can be a hoot!  The Japanese version of the Dollar store, called 100Yen store, can be a fun date, motivation for good behavior, or a mini escape from overwhelming daily demands.  From gift boxes to purses, or chopsticks to underwear you can find practically everything you didn't know you didn't have.  My favorite items are the things with Engrish phrases on them.  The best we've seen so far was a T-shirt that said, "Body Strong, Willing Heart, The Sky is Sleeping!"  Wish I had a picture of that one and the cute little Japanese boy who was wearing it.

No comments: